– 07th February 2023
Twenty years ago, on February 15th, 2003, activists from across the globe gathered in what many social movement researchers would come to describe as “the largest protest event in human history.” In more than 600 cities worldwide, coordinated protests filled the streets with people expressing their opposition to the imminent United States-led invasion of the Republic of Iraq. This was part of a series of protests and political events that had begun in 2002 and continued as the invasion, the war, and the occupation took place.
Twenty years later, on February 15th and 16th, 2023, the International Peace Bureau (IPB), together with partners and supporters, organized an event to remember and discuss the preparation, organization, and consequences of these large anti-war rallies. We aim to highlight the lessons learned by the international and national peace movements and discuss further steps toward the future of peace when dealing with the current challenges of our times.
Named “Iraq War Protests +20”, the event will have three interconnected parts – parts 01 and 02 on February 15th (04:00 PM – 08:00 PM Central European Time) and part 03 on February 16th (07:00 AM – 09:00 AM CET), with the aim to address all parts of the world.
At the event we will have the participation of a variety of speakers in round tables, interviews, and other actions in different sections:
Part 01: A glance at the past – the causes and consequences of the Iraq War
- Video opening with footage and comments of the documentary “We Are Many” (2014), directed by Amir Amirani. Also, footage of the documentary “The Days Before – a journey through time for peace in Iraq”, a contribution from Leo Gabriel.
- Video remarks from the organizers and participators of the activities in 2003;
- Interview with Ismaeel Dawood, an Iraqi Human rights defender;
- Round Table on the Impact of the war on the anti-war movement;
Part 02: A glance at the present – the current state of the peace movement
- Participation of Noam Chomsky about the reasons behind the war, the lessons learned, and the war’s impact on global developments;
- Round Table on the current challenges the Peace Movement Faces;
Part 03: A glance at the future – where peace will take us?
- Summary and Highlights of the previous day;
- Round Table on how to build the future of the peace movement;
- Musical and Artistic Intervention;
You can register for our event here or click on the links below:
Registration link for Parts 01 & 02 (15th of February, 04 PM – 08 PM CET):
Registration link for Parts 03 (16th of February, 07 AM – 09 AM CET):
More details on the program are going to be uploaded on the page for the event.
You can download the PDF version of this press release here:
➡️ Our office is open to reply to any doubts regarding the documents that were above presented. To get in touch with us, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.